Decision making is crucial in nonprofit organizations. Whether there are issues surrounding board or staff, money or the organization’s mission decisions must always be made. As with all aspects of an effective nonprofit organization a particular process should be in place and followed when decisions are to be made. One such model is the Brinkerhoff Stewardship Decision Tree. This model encompasses 5 key points:
- Does this action support our mission?
- Does this action keep us focused on our priorities?
- Do we have adequate information to decide?
- Have we applied appropriate business analyses?
- Have we consulted appropriately with these stakeholders?
This model can be applied to a variety of situations. A downloadable version can be modified. To obtain it, visit,http://www.wilder.org/pubs/workshts/pubs_worksheets1.html?069423
, and follow the instructions.
Source: Brinkerhoff, Peter. Nonprofit Stewardship, Amherst H. Wilder Foundation Publication, 2004.
Materials mentioned in the article are available in the CDW Learning Lab, open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org